The procedures to be followed depend on :
- the nationality of the professional: European or non-European national?
- the duration of the stay: more than 90 days or less than 90 days?
- the position held and the reputation of the professional: what is his/her position, his/her role in the production?
- the employer company: French or foreign?
Checking if the professional needs a visa
It depends on the nationality, the country of origin and the duration of the stay in France:
- his/her social situation
- the nationality of the employer and the bilateral social security agreements (between France and the country of origin)
- the length of time they have worked in France
Entry visas can be broken down into two main categories:
- Short-stay visa
- Long-stay visa
The duration of your visa will depend on the length of your stay in France. A short-stay visa allows you to remain in the Schengen area. A long-stay visa allows you to stay more than 3 months and to settle in France. If you stay between 3 months and 1 year, you will have a long-stay visa equivalent to a residence permit. For short stays, repeated over time, you can obtain a travel visa. Some nationalities are exempt from visa requirements, such as EU, EEA and Swiss nationals.
Practical information :
- More info about visas on Welcome to France website
- Calculator of travel days remaining under a Schengen short-stay visa
Apply for a visa
Start your visa application online : https://france-visas.gouv.fr/en/web/france-visas/ma-demande-en-ligne
Applicants are advised to apply relatively at least one month before the planned date of arrival in France. Processing timescales can vary from one consulate or embassy to another.
Applicant's passport must be valid for 3 months after the date of departure from France and have two blank pages facing each other.
For non-European nationals and filming for more than 3 months in France, a work permit will be required to obtain a visa (Talent Passport are exempted).
As of April 6, 2021, applications for work permits to hire foreign employees have to be done online on a dedicated portal: https://administration-etrangers-en-france.interieur.gouv.fr/particuliers/#/
For further information, please contact Film France :
Laurie Ades : firstname.lastname@example.org / +33 (0)1 44 34 35 68
Joanna Lorblanchet : email@example.com / +33 (0)1 44 34 35 66
Practical Filming Guide Index
Report an error to us : firstname.lastname@example.org