The Lycée Théophile-Gautier is a traditional school with more than five centuries of existence.
Currently, 900 students and 80 teachers work in 3 structures: general secondary education, preparatory class for business schools (EC), preparatory class for scientific schools. The Lycée Théophile-Gautier is home to the Pôle Espoir Sabre students who are present on the world podiums.
The high school welcomes about 800 students and has a boarding school with 50 places.
In 1633, the consuls of Tarbes bought the private mansion of the Marquis of Ossun to house the college. This is the origin of the current location of the high school (the oldest part, overlooking rue Ramond).
In the 1750s, the buildings were enlarged.
The realization of the college chapel and its altarpiece was entrusted to the prestigious Ferrère workshop (classified as a historical monument in 1978).
In 1853, thanks to the support of the banker Achille Fould, president of the General Council of the Hautes-Pyrénées and Minister of State under Emperor Napoleon III, the school was elevated to the status of Imperial High School. It was then equipped with a monumental entrance (1854) and a boarding school (1856). When the Second Empire fell in 1870, the Lycée Impérial became the Lycée National.
In 1903, the city of Tarbes completed its patient policy of acquiring land north of the original school. The school doubled in size. The buildings designed by the architect G. Labat gave it its current appearance.
In 1912, on the initiative of the municipality and a group of Tarbes scholars chaired by the poet Laurent Tailhade, the school became the Lycée Théophile Gautier, on the occasion of the centenary of the poet's birth in Tarbes.
(source : https://www.theophile-gautier.fr/histoire/)