Park or garden
Location Condition Type
The Hôtel du Châtelet is a hôtel particulier in Paris. It is situated at 127, rue de Grenelle, in the 7th arrondissement, and is now the base of the Ministère du Travail, de la Solidarité et de la Fonction Publique. It was commissioned in 1770 from Mathurin Cherpitel by the Comte Marie-Florent du Châtelet-Losmont and completed in 1776. On the comte's guillotining in 1777, the Hôtel was inscribed on the list of civil buildings and from 1796 to 1807 was the base of the École des Ponts et Chaussées. From 1807 to 1830 it was attached to the Imperial then Royal Household. From 1830 to 1849 it was rented to the Turkish then Austrian embassies, before in 1849 Napoleon III's government offered it to the archbishop of Paris (the latter's palace having burned down in 1831). From 1849 to 1905 the building's main body served as the archepiscopal residence. On the separation of the church and state in 1905 the State took back possession of the building, granting it in 1907 to the ministère du travail et de la prévoyance sociale. It was restored from 1908 onwards to be the ministry's base. In 1968 it was the site of the signature of the Grenelle agreements.