Gaillon Castle - the first Rennaissance castle in France built between 1500 and 1509 on the site of a medieval castle.
It is a symbol of a new way of building castles in the early 16th century and was a summer residence of the Archbishops of Rouen.
Built on a rocky spur, the castle overlooks the town of Gaillon and the Seine valley. Transformed into a penitentiary centre and then into barracks,
Gaillon Castle became the property of the French State in 1975. Since 2021 the castle has been undergoing a complete renovation until 2024 and is gradually regaining its former splendour.
A defensive site near the Seine, it became the summer residence of the powerful archbishops of Rouen in 1263.
But in 1494 Cardinal Georges d'Amboise transformed it into the first Renaissance castle in France, surrounded by magnificent gardens.
In the 18th century, the castle was used as a stone quarry during the sale of national property. In 1812 the castle became a prison until 1901.
The two world wars passed through the castle of Gaillon, transformed in turn into barracks and prison. In 1975 the castle, which was completely in ruins, was bought by the State, which launched renovation work.
The sufficiently restored Gaillon castle opens its doors to the public in 2011. Since 2021 the castle has been undergoing a complete renovation. The end of the works is planned until 2026.