Location Condition Type
Restored or Renovated
The Château Royal was built on Roman foundations and is the center of Collioures fortification. Most of it was built during the reign of the Counts of Roussillon and Kings of Aragon between 1376 and 1344. Later on, the Majorcan court lived in the castle. It was then occupied by the spanish until 1642, when it fell into French hands. Vauban had the outer city wall built and the rampart flattened (nowadays it is a carpark). In 1922 the castle, which by then had been declared a historical monument, was completely restored and remained in the possession of the French army until 1945. In 1951 it was sold to the General Council of the department of Pyrénées Orientales.
Gothic - Middle Ages,
Louis XIV - Louis XV
Remarkable architectural elements